Listing Image
Before You Hire A Contractor

placeMend Steering Committee
2000 Pepperell Pkwy Opelika, AL 36801


place2000 Pepperell Pkwy Opelika, AL 36801

  • The Impact
  • The End Result

    Make sure that your contractor has an occupational license from the Alabama Home Builders Licensure Board! Verify the contractor's name address and phone number. Request references on similar work recently performed by the contractor. Obtain 2 or 3 bids.

  • Why It Matters

    If the project is more than $10,000, the contractor must have an Unlimited License issued by the Licensure Board. This covers multiple trades on a project and is what most home builders and remodelers have. (General contractors licensed prior to January 1, 1992 are exempt.) If the project is more than $10,000 but does not include more than one trade, the contractor must have a Limited License. Any residential roofer that does work for a homeowner totaling more than $2,500 must have a Roofers License. This license limits contractors to roofing only. (They must also carry a $10,000 performance bond.)

  • How You Can Help

    Check with professional associations and licensing boars to verify the worker's record. Check to see if the remodeler has a professional designation such as the Certified Graduate Remodeler (CGR), which is awarded upon completion of coursework in technical courses, business management and contracts and law.

  • Learn More

    Look at the Alabama Home Builders Licensure Board at

  • Donate Now
    One Time Donation
    Monthly Donation
Contact Info
personKermit Farmer
group_workMend Steering Committee